I've been quite particular about my skin since I was about 17 years old. You'll never see me get a facial as the products make me break out, and I hate it when anyone touches my face! I've been loyal to my skin care routine for the past 5 years as I've been lucky enough to find products that work well.
However, over the last year I've started to see my skin change - in particular it's been dryer than usual, and I'm starting to see fine lines (gasp!). This led me to venture into natural products to incorporate into my routine. One in particular stood out.
Sweet almond oil. About 6 months ago I started using this heaven sent product on my face - and it has done wonders. It took me a bit of time to finally start using this oil as I have a T-Zone (oily forehead, nose, chin and dry cheeks). I was scared that by putting oil on my face it would make my T-Zone even oiler and thus break out. But it didn't! It did wonders.
I'm all about the facts, so here's a few for you! Almond oil is very popular in South East Asia and Mediterranean countries. Almonds promote a healthy heart and skin; and are rich in Vitamin E, monounsaturated fatty acids, potassium, zinc and a number of other minerals and vitamins.
With all that being said, below is exactly what happened to my skin within about 2-4 weeks of using sweet almond oil:
1. Smoother and Softer Skin: I noticed that my skin was smoother, and it was much easier to put makeup on. It also felt softer to touch. The fact that this oil can be used on baby skin says a lot!
2. That Glow and Radiance: I have always wanted that glowing and radiant skin. You know when you walk past someone and think 'Wow they have amazing skin!', I wanted that! Sweet almond oil actually did this for me. To the point where my friends who are makeup artists started asking me what products I use!
3. Got Rid of Excess Oil on Face: By slathering oil all over my face, this helped to balance out the oil that was lost from the chemicals in my face wash. What I didn't realise was that every time I used my face wash to help with my oily skin, this caused an unnatural balance causing my skin to work overtime to create natural oil for the oil lost from the face wash - thus the never ending cycle of the oily T-Zone! By adding sweet almond oil into my routine, there was no extra oil that needed to be created by my skin thus balancing out my skin and lowering the amount of oil on my face.
4. Removed Dark Circles: At the time I started using the oil I was living in London. Waking up early, going to work, coming home exhausted, going to sleep late - the life of a lot of city dwellers unfortunately. This caused dark circles to appear under my eyes (yuck!). After about 1 month of using the oil 3-4 times a week, I started to really see a difference and the dark circles are pretty much gone now.
5. Reduced Fine Lines: I was starting to get lines mainly under my eyes - which was not good! After about 2-3 months I started to see a difference, my lines were beginning to fade!
You can incorporate the oil in to your routine at the time that works best for you. Many people say to use it right after a bath. But I use the oil right before I go to sleep. I sleep on my back, so that helps with not getting the oil all over the pillow. I slather the oil all over my face, give myself a nice facial massage (which also helps to relax before sleeping!), and then fall asleep. That's it!
I purchased this oil for about £2 (on promotion) at a health shop in London, but you can get it online here and here.
Let me know your thoughts and if you have any recommendations for natural beauty products!